Brothers Roger and Max Millant were among the most respected European makers of their generation. Beginning their studies with their prize winning grandfather Sebastien-August Deroux, they continued their studies with Mougenot in Mirecourt and with Dykes in London. After establishing their own shop in Paris in 1930- shortly before turning 30- they quickly developed fame for constructing instruments of robust tone and elegant craftsmanship. During the course of their career, they won prizes in Cremona, The Hague, and Liege, among others. This violin is a classic example of their work from the same year they won first prize at The Hague for a quartet of instruments. It is of extremely attractive wood and a rich red varnish, and has a clear warm tone filled with resonance and color.