Vincenzo Postiglione has been considered one of the greatest Italian makers of the period. Postiglione likely learned the craft from his father before apprenticing with Vincenzo Jorio. By 1855 he had set up his own shop in his native Naples where he built a fine reputation as luthier, repairman, and curator. He was talented and prolific, building nearly 300 violins and more than 100 cellos, earning himself a reputation as one of his generation's best luthiers. In 1910 he passed his shop on to his sons, retiring after a remarkable 55 year career. This particular violin is a classic example of his work: With dramatic dark orange-red varnish and a striking scroll, it is easy to play, at once responsive and forgiving, and has a clear tone. It is accompanied by a D'Attilli certificate.