Brothers Roger and Max Millant were among the most respected European makers of their generation. Beginning their studies with their prize winning grandfather Sebastien-August Deroux, they continued their studies with Mougenot in Mirecourt and with Dykes in London. After establishing their own shop in Paris in 1930- shortly before turning 30- they quickly developed fame for constructing instruments of robust tone and elegant craftsmanship. During the course of their career, they won prizes in Cremona, The Hague, and Liege, among others. This violin is a classic examples of their work. Made in 1953 on their own model, it is easy to play and has a nuanced, rich tone with characteristic power.