One of the most talented violin makers of the Genoa school, Lecchi made excellent bows and guitars in addition to his prize winning violins, violas and cellos. The son of a cabinetmaker, he worked in the family trade until he began an apprenticeship with Cesare Candi in 1923. In 1929, while still working for Candi, he entered the local Artisan’s Association, allowing him to work professionally as a luthier. His myriad prizes include a prestigious first prize for a quartet of instruments in Cremona, 1937. By 1949 he was hired as the official curator to Paganini’s “Il Canone” violin, a post which at once reflected his reputation and elevated his importance. This mint condition violin, with the original pegs made by Lecchi, is a beautiful example of his clean, accurate work, and would be an admirable addition to a collection as it would be to a fine violinist. The tone rings clear and strong, possessing brilliant overtones.